Explore This Impact Travel Experience and Fill Out The Inquiry Form Below
Puerto Plata is traditionally known for its large resorts and all-inclusive beach hotels. But there is another side to Puerto Plata with a story to tell, away from the hustle and bustle of the tourists. While resorts and excursions provide jobs to many people in the Puerto Plata region, those who do not have access to the tourist market experience vast income inequality with limited opportunities for fair paying jobs, and are often living in inadequate conditions. The Puerto Plata region is ripe with pristine off-the-path beaches and lagoons, welcoming communities, late night beach parties, and endless music and Dominican cuisine. And you will experience it all.
Live like a local and be immersed in Dominican culture, while staying overnight in developing communities, exploring pristine, secluded beaches and exploring a deep, hidden, ocean lagoon. Dance the night away at a local beach club at Caberete beach, or enjoy a relaxing dinner at a local beachfront restaurant, and wake up to the immaculate ocean-front in Rio San Juan. Experience the value of supporting local families, businesses and entrepreneurs every step of the way, all while experiencing the Dominican adventure of a lifetime. THIS is Puerto Plata!
By staying overnight in the guest house in the community of Nuevo Renacer, you are contributing to economic development initiatives which enables the community to fund their own solutions to development challenges at the grassroots level. Eating locally provides jobs and opportunities to small family owned restaurants and local farmers, and directly supports ventures like Maria’s new restaurant and Juan’s family in the community of Nuevo York Chiquito.
You will have the opportunity to take part in some volunteer initiatives in communities along the way, assisting with projects that are based directly on community needs at the time of your visit.
Venturing off the beaten path to support local vendors for mangoes and fresh fruit, provides much needed support to them and their families. Every time you travel to the Dominican Republic with The NWC, you employ a local Community Ambassador who will act as your guide and support from the time you arrive until the time you depart. Experience the real Puerto Plata, while making a difference in the lives of others.
- Arrive in Puerto Plata, settle in at the guest house in Nuevo Renacer
- Enjoy an evening on the “Malecon” boardwalk
- Depart early for Punta Rucia
- Spend the day at a secluded beach or on the Punta Rucia Island
- Stay overnight in Punta Rucia
- Spend the day in Punta Rucia
- Tavel back to Nuevo Renacer for the night
- Depart for the community of Nuevo York Chiquito, in Rio San Juan
- Learn about the community and enjoy an authentic lunch at the local Colmado
- Depart in the evening for a late-night beach party at Cabarete beach
- Wake up overlooking the immaculate Rio San Juan beach at a secluded hotel
- Go deep sea fishing with a local fishing guide, relax on the beach, or spend a day on the patios in small-town Dominican
- Enjoy a patio-style, sunset dinner overlooking the secluded ocean beach
- Spend the day at what will seem like your own hidden, ocean lagoon, well off the beaten path
- Enjoy a locally cooked dinner by a local family and entrepreneur
- Travel back to Nuevo Renacer and enjoy your final evening at the local colmado or discotheca on the Malecon boardwalk
- Visit Villa Ascuncion, a safe-haven community for Haitian families living in the Dominican Republic
- Assist in the local food program
- Depart for the airport
What is Included?
Trip prices include round trip airfare (in most cases – check individual trip details for confirmation); a dedicated in-country Community Ambassador for 24/7 support; all meals, accommodations, in-country transportation, and cultural activities; basic travel and out-of-province health insurance; and all taxes, fees, and service charges.
Your Next Step
Check out the trips that are open for you to join below and register now, or fill out the inquiry form to speak with a trip planner. You can secure your spot on a trip without paying a deposit for up to 5 days by filling out the trip registration form. Once your registration form has been submitted your spot is tentatively secured, and a trip planner from The NWC will contact you to discuss flights, final pricing and payment details. You can change your mind at any time within 5 days or prior to paying your deposit.